Tuesday, July 21, 2009

July 21, 2009






Today is the second day of the workshop... and just as full as the first. We began our work at 8am exploring the Salt Paper Print process, which was introduced in 1834 by William Henry Fox Talbott. It is a beautiful process that produces prints of varying tones from brown to reddish purple. I was able to produce a couple of nice images in the salt paper print process and feel quite accomplished. I will try to create a few more later this week when we are able to play with all of the processes again.

It has been a perfect day for making prints as the UV light needed to expose these processes needed to be diffused light- it was overcast and foggy all day until it began to rain late in the afternoon. No one complained.

During the second half of the day, we explored the Kallitype print process. It's name literally means "beautiful print". It provides tonalities of sepia-brown, red, and chocolate black. The Kallitype is a iron based sensitizer that is chemically developed, unlike the Van Dyke Brown prints that are processed in water. The Kallitype and Van Dyke Brown processes have been confused over the years. They have different chemical properties and development requirements. I had a few challenges creating my Kallitypes, as my negatives were too contrasty, and made for a print with unrealized information in the highlight areas. Being the tenacious person I am, I skipped dinner and worked till 8pm in order to get a good print. I did succeed and was rewarded with a lovely image of the greenhouse door.

While I waited for my prints to wash and line dry, I grabbed some dinner and sat on the porch of the photo lab and listened to the rain hit the tarp above me. I was greeted by a sweet little cat who lives at the Workshops. I do not mind, as I am missing my three cats and my dog and needed a little "fix".

No comments:

Post a Comment